SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#396562 - 11/29/14 09:37 AM REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S
KORG80 Offline

Wanted to resurrect this song which is very special to me. I wrote it in honour of my wife's parents who are both in the nursing home suffering from this dreaded condition. As thoughts turn to family at this time of year we need to remember and honour and stand around our beloved loved ones even in less than ideal circumstances.
I believe the style on my PSR S750 was "Serenade"
God Bless,
Don

#396574 - 11/29/14 11:45 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Very touching tune!

I wouldn't dare have my wife watch this one today, her mom died of the effects of Alzeheimer's 2 years ago today. I will have her watch it in a few days, just not today. It is a devastating disease, it's awful to watch someone get upset because you took their napkin, since they thought you were stealing their cash. No fun either to watch someone try sweeten their ice tea with apple sauce.

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/29/14 11:46 AM)

#396577 - 11/29/14 01:17 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

The politically correct term that is used today is "REMINISCENCE"....
let me explain......I went to a NH gig last year ....when I got there I asked where I was playing as there are
4 different sections Independent Living, Assisted Living, Health Care, & for many years playing there there was an Alzheimers section also that I have played many times.....but on this day the nurse said to me ..
"oh your playing in the "REMINISCENCE" section"....I said where is that?.....& she whispered to me "that's what we have to call it now"? confused1

Nice job on this song very well done & very heartfelt,...
so sad..ALZ is a devastating slow disease. But I know music touches them in many ways.
Thank you for sharing, hang in there & be strong.

take care[b][/b]

#396591 - 11/29/14 07:00 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks for listening Steven and Donny. Yes Donny I have worked in "Reminiscence" a number of times. That's where the inspiration for the song came from. The home my in-laws are in has a number of buildings, "Trinity Towers" Heritage Towers etc. On one visit I was particularly saddened when my father-in-law almost got in an altercation with another patient. I had to step between them. As I left with tears in my eyes I looked up at the Tower and the phrase "from the cradle to the towers" came to my mind. Once the fading autumn leaves came to mind the song kind of wrote itself. Thanks for your comments, gentlemen.

God Bless,
Don

#396610 - 11/30/14 05:55 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
While playing in an assisted living home, the nurses said some of the people would not even know my music! Yet, those same patients perked up and sang all the words to my songs! The nurses were amazed and said they had never even heard the voices before! I went to give a blessing, and GOT a blessing instead. Your song was very beautiful and it brought back memories for me! Thank you for sharing.

#396629 - 11/30/14 04:42 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: Keith W. Bailey]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks for listening Keith! check your PM.

God Bless,
Don

#396634 - 11/30/14 05:10 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, I perform at several locations where various forms of dementia dominate the patients and residents there. The young ladies that work with these folks day in and day out should be given medals. I'm amazed at how much attention the patients require, and how much effort these young gals make to insure the comfort of the patients is maintained, while at the same time, maintaining their sense of compassion. The staff is very dedicated, and some of them have worked at the same facility for more than two decades. You did a great job with that song my friend - keep up the good work.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396635 - 11/30/14 07:22 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Gary I agree with you on the compassion and caring shown by those who work with patients stricken with this terrible condition.

God Bless,
Don

#396639 - 11/30/14 10:10 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
Mark79100 Offline

Don.....that's a real pretty song and you did a good job on it.....and....that guitar backing was so perfect, I'm very impressed with that Yamaha guitar style.

But....thanks for introducing me to this tune. I couldn't find it doing a Google. Is this something YOU wrote? If not, who made the song popular?

#396647 - 12/01/14 08:41 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: Mark79100]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Mark,

It's an original.

God Bless,
Don

#396671 - 12/02/14 12:57 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Beautiful tune and nicely done. As a guitar player, I wondered if that was a real guitar on that song? smile

We play places that have folks with dementia. It's something to watch that sometimes a resident who seems non-reactive altogether...doesn't look up or talk...

will suddenly come alive when we play a song they know..and some even sing along.

My wife, who worked many years in an assisted living care facility as a social worker, commented that music is one of the most effective therapies for folks suffering from dementia.

#396687 - 12/02/14 08:30 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: guitpic1]
KORG80 Offline

That guitar actually comes from my Yamaha PSR S750.

I have seen exactly what you are talking about when singing and playing for these folks. There is a film, "Alive Inside", that documents the effect of music on Alzeimer patients. Behind that film there is a movement to get Ipods with personal playlists into the hands of these people. A very worthwhile mission in my mind!

God Bless,
Don

#396702 - 12/02/14 12:09 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Really liked the nylon string sound, and, of course the sincerity and "slice of reality" represented by the song.

My 14 years as a caretaker for my father-in-law, who died 3 years ago changed my whole focus on life.

Helping the helpless is a noble calling. Doc was a former state commissioner of mental health, a hospital administrator, school board member, college educator and model family man.

How sad to witness the degeneration into a person who could not walk, talk or take care of himself in any meaningful way.

He was my best friend, and I was honored to drop everything in my life to take care of him. That included leaving a long held corporate communications job I loved.

That's why I devote all of my spare time to nursing home reform.

Russ

#396713 - 12/02/14 03:42 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: captain Russ]
KORG80 Offline

God Bless you, Russ!

Don

#396722 - 12/02/14 07:02 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This was a tough one for me to listen to, as well, Don, as I was my late Uncle Jim's sole caregiver for the last 6 years of his life, during which he was slowly destroyed by this dreaded disease. This was an especially situation, as he was the last of my family.

It brought a tear to my eye...however, it is a sincerely performed, and well written song.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Ian

#396724 - 12/02/14 08:21 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: ianmcnll]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Ian,

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Bless you my friend for staying by your uncle's side.

Don

#396726 - 12/02/14 10:04 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
Mark79100 Offline

By coincidence, there was an article in today's newspaper about Glen Campbell. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in his 60's and went downhill from there.

Interestingly enough, his wife said he attempted to do a concert tour in spite of it, and she noticed when he was "on stage" the music kind of brought back some "clarity" for him.

Unfortunately, the story ended saying the disease progressed so fast that he is now living his life out in a "care" facility.

Mark

#396730 - 12/03/14 08:38 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: Mark79100]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Mark,

I knew Glen Campbell was afflicted with Alzeimer's but I didn't know about the downward slide into care facility.

God Bless,
Don

#396731 - 12/03/14 08:52 AM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: KORG80]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Worked with Glenn in the early 60's in Bakersfield.

Sad, but the interviews I've seen show him facing the situation like the man he was.

r.

#396743 - 12/03/14 01:31 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: captain Russ]
KORG80 Offline

Facing this with strength and dignity is not easy. Pleased to hear he does his best to cope.

God Bless,
Don

#396755 - 12/03/14 08:26 PM Re: REMEMBER ME/ALZEIMER"S [Re: captain Russ]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Sad, but the interviews I've seen show him facing the situation like the man he was.

As I recall that's what the article said...he wanted to "face the situation" by facing his audience during the worst of it.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online